Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tonight's Homework Assignment: Probability

For Spencer's homework, tonight's assignment read: What is probability? Write down something that is "certain," something that is "possible," and something that is "impossible."

I wanted to make sure he understood the concepts so I thought of an example. I said, "Let's pretend that you have a bag of M&Ms. It only has blue ones and green ones. If you reach into the bag and pull something out, what is certain that you will get?

Let's take a break and explain what I was looking for... I am looking for "it is certain that you will get M&Ms, it is certain that you will get a blue or a green, etc." When I ask about possible the answers should be "green" or "blue." For impossible, I am looking for an answer like, "a red one, a yellow one, etc." Now back to my question:

Let's pretend that you have a bag of M&Ms. It only has blue ones and green ones. If you reach into the bag and pull something out, what is CERTAIN that you will get?

Spencer looks up at me and with all seriousness replies, "You will get fat."

3 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Thanks for the chuckle Courtney! Spencer CERTAINLY is right!! :-)

Unknown said...

Dang.... I better put the bag of M&Ms in the trash :)

Life Happens said...

He is certainly a funny one!