Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Politics and children...

We have had lots of political discussions in our home in the last week or so. This is because of all of the political information my kids are picking up from TV, radio, kids at school, and listening to me talk to various people. One day, Spencer came home and said, "I'm voting for John McCain." Carter heard him and quickly said, "I'm voting for Barak Obama." I then talked to both of them about voting, what it means, and that they should have good reasons for their choices. Neither one could tell me why they wanted that person. Last Thursday was a politically charged day for our family. Carter's friend at school told him, "I'm voting for McCain because Barak Obama is a lier. McCain used to lie, but he doesn't any more." That is a boy who just barely turned 5. Later that afternoon, I got the following email from Spencer's tutor. She is a huge Broncos fan and a McCain supporter. Subject: School Voted Today, "Okay, so I asked the boys who they voted for and why... Ryan said he voted for McCain because he's an old man, Spencer voted for McCain because his parents were voting that way, and this is the best... J.D. voted for Barak Obama because Barak O sounds like Bronco.... perhaps we should indoctrinate our children with something other than the Broncos! ha ha ha!" That evening, we were in the car and I asked Spencer about the school election. He shook his head sadly and said, "Mom (I could hear the dispair in his voice) my school voted for Obama." He seemed so sad and disappointed. He then added, "and JD voted for Barak Obama on accident." It was quite funny how he said everything... I then reminded both boys that you need to have good reasons for who you choose. Spencer asked me why I liked McCain and I told him that I thought McCain could protect our country better than Obama could. He then asked why I didn't like Obama. I told him because Obama wanted to take away our money. So, after that conversation, Carter would tell everyone that Barak Obama wanted to take ALL of money away from us. This morning I told the boys who won the election. Spencer got very nervous and said, "Mom, is he going to take away are money today?" I assured him that we were safe for now and then he said, "Will I still be allowed to play outside?" Oh, the things that worry small children...
For those of you that are worried about me indoctinating my children... I did also talk to both boys about respecting the President even when we don't agree with everything he does.

1 comment:

The Petersons said...

Go Courtney! Give me a 'heads-up' if you see anyone hanging around the neighborhood getting ready to take your money... I am afraid you are absolutely right though--socialized health care isn't free.