Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Catching up!

So much happened after bringing #4 home from the hospital, it has been hard to find time to blog. I use my blog as a journal for myself so there are many things I want to document that might be boring for everyone else. Sorry, but here goes.

Tayla had some trouble gaining weight the first few weeks so we took her to the doctor for weight checks every 2-3 days. At the 2nd one, she hadn't had enough poopy diapers and was still very yellow, so the doctor sent her to the hospital to check her bilirubin levels. Everything came back normal and I continued nursing and supplementing with formula. Finally, at 4 weeks old she was back up to her birth weight... yay!

On Monday, April 6, I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up with a strange pain on my right side. I went up to bed and woke up in the night needing to use the bathroom. When I stood up I felt a huge gush. I went into the bathroom I found that my underwear was completely covered with blood. When I stood up, there was so much blood in the water I could not see the bottom of toilet. It was scary. I thought I should wait an hour and see if the bleeding continued before I called the doctor. When I next got up, there was much less blood. I was still bleeding but it had tapered off, I was also passing large clots (golf ball sized). In the morning, I called the doctor and was told to come in immediately. We found someone to watch the boys (it was Spring Break) and Dave drove me and the 2 girls to the doctor's office next to the hospital. I was still bleeding, but not nearly as much. After a quick exam, the doctor drew some blood (to check my iron levels) and sent me for a sonogram to see if there was any placenta left inside (the usual cause of bleeding and clotting). I then went home. I heard nothing until 2 days later at my already scheduled incision check on Thursday. Blood work and sonogram were normal. I had to wait about a week for the bleeding to stop. 2 different doctors gave me various theories about what it was (including a period.) The one that fit the best and that I tend to believe is that it was the internal scar from incision. It forms a scab to stop the bleeding and sometimes that scab comes off before the wound has healed. This causes you to bleed and pass clots... but who knows for sure? I am fine and have not had any bleeding since.
Dave eventually had to go back to work. I dreaded that, but am adjusting. I miss being able to take naps during the day. I miss having the house clean (he's so good at that!) I miss HIM! He hasn't had to travel since the baby was born, but that is quickly coming to an end. Reality will hit big time in mid-May. He has a one night stay (May 14-15) in Detroit and then home for the weekend. Then, back to Detroit forever (I think it's 6 weeks, coming home on the weekends). I really REALLY don't want him to go. I am not ready for 4 kids alone. I know I'm not.
I think that is all I wanted to talk about here... I will post about the kids starting soccer at another time. Thanks for reading!

No comments: