Monday, May 4, 2009

Grocery Store today

Taking kids to the grocery store is my least favorite activity of all. To me, the grocery store represents order. I know my life with little kids will be in constant chaos, but the grocery store has everything in rows. The rows have a category and everything in the row is organized with like items. It is order and organization in my chaotic world. Introduce children into that environment and all of a sudden bliss becomes hell. Not always, but with me and my children, it is more likely to be a horrible experience than a pleasant one.

Today, Miana first started by throwing all of the food out of the cart. Then, I got her to stop and Tayla started screaming. It was time to check out so I headed to the front. While standing in line, Miana kept standing up and trying to jump out of the cart. I had to do self-checkout because all of the lanes had several people in them and Tayla was screaming so I wanted to get out quick. The lady next to me kept trying to talk to Miana, which made her try to jump out more. Finally, I get through the process and am ready to leave. The lady heard the baby screaming the whole time and kept commenting to her clerk (they opened a new lane next to me right after I started checking out) about the baby and the toddler. She was an elderly lady (I estimate late 70s). Finally, she turned to me and said, "Is there anything I can do to help you?" I smiled and assured her that it was all easy from that point on. We left the store and I thought to myself:

You know it's been a bad day at the store when the 80 year old offers to help YOU out to your car!

2 comments:

The Petersons said...

Are you sure she wasn't just MY age--I look like I'm 80, and I would help you if I were there :)

ctarbet said...

That's how I determined that she was around 80, she looked WAYYY older than you and you're what... 70? :) Just kidding!