Wednesday, March 5, 2008

First Steps...

Yesterday was my friend's birthday. I will always remember it because she told me that it's the only day of the year that is a command to go forward. I can see a general (I imagine George Washington) standing in front of his troops, thrusting his sword forward in the air, shouting, "March forth." I reflected on this yesterday and decided that if I am having a difficult time in my life, I can always use this day as a gentle reminder that I need to move forward in my life.
I found it completely fitting that Baby took her first solo steps yesterday. Until now, she has walked holding onto things (chairs in the kitchen, someone's hands) and would not attempt it on her own. She will stand on her own for quite a while, she can even stand herself up in the middle of the room without anything to pull herself up, but as soon as she wants to go somewhere, she would immediately sit down and crawl. I have no dillusions that she will be running around by herself anytime in the immediate future, she only took two steps forward, but it was two steps more than what she did the day before... Two small steps for Baby, a giant leap for development!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

How crazy - Dylan did the same thing yesterday...

stacey said...

I never thought of that - March Fo(u)rth. The concept reminded me of how my name, in at least one name book I've seen/read, means "one who shall rise again." I have to remember that sometimes, so I'll have to remember march forth also.

Congrats to Baby!! :)

The Petersons said...

thank for making me think...