Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spencer: Humanitarian of the year, Part 2

On Saturday, I gave him a large plastic container and told him it was for all of his school papers, drawings, special things, etc. He was so excited that he carried the box around all afternoon, even outside to play. He went out for a little while and when I looked outside, I couldn't see him anywhere. He had been gone for about a half an hour when I started to get worried. I then heard something outside and looked out to see him coming up the walkway, carrying his box. It looked like he could hardly lift it off the ground. He came inside and I asked him what was in the box (it was empty when he left), I was not prepared for what came next... He said, "I went to all the houses and asked for food for the people that don't have any." I looked in the box and saw about 6 cans of food. I started laughing (inside, I didn't want him to think I was laughing AT him) and smiling and telling him how sweet he was. I also didn't want the neighbors thinking that I send my son around asking for food, so I found out who gave him the food. Amazingly, it all came from one house, he had carried it a block and half all by himself!! He told his dad what happened while I called the neighbor. She said that she was happy to help him and that he looked so sad that no one else had given him any. I told her that he did this all on his own and I told her where we were going to donate the food. The next day we took the cans to the donation box and dropped them off. He was so excited!! I can't believe that my little 6 year old organized and carried out a food drive all on his own. What a kid!

6 comments:

Paige said...

Spencer is such a sweetheart. :-)

The Petersons said...

Just one point of concern--he was knocking on doors and gone for half an hour---there are just enough crazies out there for me to worry. You had better have a talk about not going to stranger's homes, PLEASE.
He is, however, the cutest, funniest kid in the world, and he is making your life extremely interesting!

ctarbet said...

He knows not to knock on the doors of strangers, when I asked him where he went, he gave me the names of the families. He just happens to know most of our neighbors. He's not allowed to play at anyone's house unless I have met the parents. Don't worry!

stacey said...

It really warmed my heart to read this. What a super kid you've got!

The Petersons said...

Court, this could be the solution to your high water bills---mooching off neighbor's food supplements...

Unknown said...

next time you should have him hold up a sign on the corner..."will work for food."
i cant wait to see you guys... when are you coming to utah? well maybe you should take a vacation in cali!!