Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Keys and creepy words

Spencer was in time out (we'll get to that in a minute) and we were talking about what he did wrong and how he should act in the future.

Me: You need to remember to behave and be a good listener...
Spencer, interupting: Stop! Don't say that word anymore.
Me: What word? Behave?
Spencer: Yes. Don't say that anymore, it really creeps me out.

At that point I started laughing, a six year old, saying in such a serious way that a word really creeps him out! Now that I am done laughing, I'll tell you why he was in time out. He had been outside playing and came home and started looking through a drawer. I asked him what he was looking for and he first tried to think of something that he wouldn't get in trouble for playing with, but I think he was in too much of a hurry to be able to think of anything so finally he said it...

Spencer: your car keys, but not the ones with all the other keys on it. (house key, church keys)
Me: Why do you need my keys, the car isn't locked. You can go get what you need out of it and just make sure you close the door when you're done.
S: I just need your keys, I don't need anything in the car.
-My next thought was that perhaps he just wanted to take the car out for a spin, but I didn't say anything, just in case he hadn't thought of that. We don't like putting thoughts in his head, his own thoughts are scary enough... -
Me: Why do you need my keys?
Spencer, getting frustrated: Because Spencer (H.) won't let me play with his keys so I need my own.
Me: You can't take my car keys out of the house.
S: Then I am taking Daddy's keys out.
Me: No. No real keys are allowed to leave the house.

You can see where this is going. I even offered to let him play with a key that no longer goes to anything, I even put it on a key chain for him, but this wasn't good enough. He began yelling, screaming, and even kicked me. That's when he went to time out, with extra time added for the kick... fun times at our house...

2 comments:

The Petersons said...

I love these stories about your kids! I now need to figure out how to work them into a talk for a stake conference, then figure out how to translate it into French!

Paige said...

I think it's great you started a blog so you can remember all the funny things your kids do and say :-)