Thursday, November 15, 2007

Shepherd's Pie

By request, I am posting a recipe... Remember, I am NOT a chef, a gourmet, or even a cook. I am a MOM. I like dinner that is fast and easy. The following recipe has "steps" which I try to avoid, I like to throw it all together and cook. That's it, but this was not too hard because I use quick and easy things.

Ingredients:
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 lb. ground beef
some chopped onion (how much is up to you, if using fresh, I would suggest about 1/2 of a large onion, but I use dried, just threw some in)
garlic (I used some out of fridge, not fresh, just minced from a jar, you could use fresh or even garlic powder)
1 tiny can chopped olives, drained (optional, but nice touch, makes it feel like a grown-up meal)
salt and pepper to taste
1 can creamed corn
2 cups mashed potatoes (I used instant, just add water, in the microwave, if you use anything, it will take more time, so plan for that)
shredded cheese (we prefer cheddar)
and topping of choice: cheese, cinnamon sugar mixture, or the orange stuff they put on deviled eggs, can't remember it's name...

Preheat oven according to pie crust directions (for an empty shell)
STEP 1: Put pie crust in either a "deep dish" pie plate (which I tried and it wasn't quite deep enough) or a casserole dish (much better). Bake shell according to directions for an empty shell.
Warning: Mine Never look pretty, but it doesn't matter because it will be completely covered up.
STEP 2: While pie crust is cooking, brown meat. This must be done one handed as you will most likely be dealing with a child (holding, feeding, making strawberry milk for, etc. ) Drain fat, I suggest not holding the baby while doing this as a burn could result in a visit from family and child services. Add onions (and a tsp. of water if using dried), olives, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir altogether in pan with meat.
STEP 3: Make up mashed potatoes according to directions. (again, mine were microwave water for 2 minutes, dump in flakes, stir, done)
By this time, the baby wants more attention than you can give her so call in reinforcements... the 5 year old works great, he was making her dance all over the kitchen.
STEP 4: Assemble by layering into pie crust: put in ground beef mixture, then dump the can of creamed corn on, then a tiny bit of cheese, then the mashed potatoes, then topping of choice...
STEP 5: Cook until the topping is crisp or browned, we usually do cheese and put the broiler on for a few minutes at the end... cooking time is usually around 30 min. to make everything is heated thoroughly. We cooked 25-30 min. then broiled for about 3 or so. That was Dave's idea... good work, Honey!!

Now you can rescue baby from the dirty kitchen floor where she has been laying because her brother got tired on helping and just left her there, go play the video game with the 3 year old, and let hungry husband fend for himself because it took longer than you thought to "create" dinner and he got home really fast and wants to eat NOW... he can read books with the 5 year old until dinner is ready... sorry...

Dinner is ready!! It's yummy and it's all in one, meat, veggies, potatoes, all here! I find that one pie crust full feeds my husband and I with a decent size helping left over (big enough for the 5 yr. old and 3 yr. old to eat too, if they liked it, which they don't because neither one likes ground beef, so they don't eat it... too bad, more for us, here, have a lunchable for dinner.)

1 comment:

Paige said...

THANK YOU for posting this, sounds yummy. I appreciated all the other special directions you included. Mine might not turn out as good since I don't have a 5 year old and my kid is only 2 instead of 3...I'll have to improvise.