Saturday, November 17, 2007

Who needs a Roomba??

Ever since I got married, I realized that I am not a very good housekeeper. It just doesn't come naturally at all. I thought one day, many years ago, what we need is a little robot that goes around cleaning up. Then a few years later, a company called iRobot introduced the Roomba, a small robotic vacuum that goes around the house vacuuming all the time. It's fantastic! I have wanted one ever since, but by that time I had children and a Roomba wouldn't have made it one day in the house with my rough boys. So, that, coupled with the price, has made it so we will never get one.
Well, here is what I have realized... (with some background notes... )

Back when Spencer learned to crawl, I learned that no matter how clean you think the floor is, he will always find something on it to put in his mouth. An example: One morning, shortly after Spencer learned to crawl, I vacuumed the carpet in the family room of our townhouse. That afternoon, Spencer was crawling around the room while I folded laundry. Yes, this was 6 years ago and I remember very clearly what I was doing because I remember throwing the shirt down on the floor and running to him. He had stopped crawling and was sucking on something, so I ran to see what he had... a nail, a 3-4 inch nail. It seemed huge to such a small baby. He was sucking on it like a popsicle, it was horrifying. I remember thinking, but I JUST vacuumed, where did it come from??
By the time Carter came along, Spencer was only 2, so it meant all kinds of food, toys, and fun all over the floor for Carter to find.
Yesterday, Carter had a fit after lunch. He was exhausted and finally fell asleep, but not until after he threw some crackers on the floor, which broke into smaller pieces. I thought I had found all of them and threw them away, but not so... Miana was crawling around in the family room and found a small piece. I picked her up shortly after that, she smelled like cracker and had soggy brown stuff all over her. Then, about an hour later, she was crawling around in the kitchen and she stopped, I immediately ran over and found her with another piece of cracker in her mouth. I think she has found the rest of Carter's mess by now, but then I had this thought,
"Who needs a Roomba when you have a crawler?"

1 comment:

Paige said...

Love it! I have a Roomba at my house, too. He eats his cheerios in his highchair first, and then when they're gone we just put him on the floor to roomba up all the ones he dropped on the floor. I love when he goes for the ones under the kitchen chairs and gets his head stuck--hilarious.