Tuesday, November 6, 2007

When I'm 43 can I be the boss of this house?

Well, it turns out that yesterday was a great day for conversations with my kids... Here's the all day long on going conversation I had with my 5 year old.

Spencer: Can I get a dog for my next birthday?
Me: No.
S: Pleeeeaaasssseee?!!
Me: No.
S: Pleeeeaaaaassssseeee?!
Me: No, you know the rule. What's the rule?
S: We can't have pets and kids in our house, but, but, I have to have a dog!

This went on for about 5 minutes. Then after a brief pause, he returned.
S: When I am 43, can I be the boss of this house?
Me: THIS house? If you'd like to... (I don't know if my husband and I will still be living here, but maybe when he is 43, I'd be willing to sell it to him and buy us a new one)
S: I can?? Then I can decide if I can have a dog?
Me: Yes, when you are 43, you can decided if you can have a dog. In fact, if you'd like, I will buy you a dog when you turn 43. I will give it to you for your birthday (whether you want it or not)

All day long, we had several conversations about the dog when he was 43, 45, and 35...

He was fascinated by the fact that I told him he could be the boss of this house and decide whether or not to have a dog. He kept saying, "boss of this house." So finally, I said to him, "don't you want to be the boss of your own house?" He very quickly, and seriously said, "When you are dead, I will be the boss of my own house."

Yes, it was a good day for conversations with my children yesterday.

No comments: