Monday, February 4, 2008

Not me strikes again.

It is amazing to me that so many things in this world happen "all by themselves." I remember being a child and when something bad happens, the immediate answer was always, "I didn't do it, it wasn't me, it must have been someone else." Mysterious as it all is (the drawings on the wall, stains on the carpet, toys in the toilet) I have not yet begun to suspect aliens, fairies, elves, trolls, or big foot. I am confident that most of the time, I can find out who did it. There are 2 occasions I want to share with you, the most recent first. It all started with the Wii. Wiis can connect to the internet and if you have Wii points, you can trade them in for new games. How do you get Wii points? You buy them. We had decided to download a couple new games and so we had some Wii points. Yesterday, in the afternoon, the boys were playing the Wii, but soon they tired and both fell asleep. Dave came into the room (I was upstairs taking a nap) and decided to turn off the Wii, since no one was using it. As he got to the main menu, he noticed a new game, one neither one of us had purchased and all of our Wii points gone (500 of them, equal to $5). He told me about it when I came downstairs and we were really getting frustrated and angry with our sleeping 6 year old, because he had spent our money!! He was the first to wake up and immediately, we started to question him, the response, "It wasn't me, I was sleeping. Carter did it, I saw him playing the new game." Our response to him, "You are lying. How did you see him playing the new game if you were sleeping?" We thought, Now we've got him, he's caught. Of course Carter didn't do it, he's only 3 1/2, Spencer is 6. It had to be the 6 year old, 3 year olds can't do stuff like that. Spencer remained firm in his defense of "I didn't do it, it wasn't me." A little while later, Carter woke up and out of curiosity, I asked him about it. I said, "We found a new game on the Wii, do you know where it came from." I wasn't surprised when I heard, "Spencer did it." Immediately, my husband turns to Spencer and says, "See, I knew you did it!" What Dave didn't see, was Carter's face. Our innocent 3 year old had a look, a look that said it all. I turned to Dave and said, "wait, look at Carter's face and ask him again." Dave, a little shocked, said, "Carter, did you buy a new game?" Carter couldn't stop smiling and finally said, "Yes, I did it, I wanted a new game so I got it." Moral of the story, 3 year olds are theives, liars, and are quick to frame others. No one would suspect a 3 year old. Innocent no more at 3. I thought it would take longer, boy was I wrong. Just so you know, there were appologies issued to Spencer and Carter was immediately taken into custody, a speedy trial was held and he was sentenced to a long lecture about spending other people's money and he is NEVER allowed to play the game he bought.
Now that I showed you that my 3 year old is far from innocent, I will tell you the 2nd situation, which technically came first, but I wanted to save the best for last. I tell you that it is the best example of Not Me being in my house that I have ever heard. It's amazing how that guy gets around, even right in front of your face. Carter had been doing something and had really dirty fingers. He wanted to play the Wii (yes, I know, it's a Wii story again) and I said to him, "You can't touch the Wii remote if you have stuff on your fingers, you have to go wash your hands." Carter looked at me and without missing a beat, held up his dirty hand and said, "These aren't MY fingers." Oh, well, okay, as long as they aren't your fingers...

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

your kids are so funny and clever!

ctarbet said...

they get it from you!