Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tropical guide and cherries hurt you...

At church last week, we were talking about how there is an index in the back of the scriptures called, "The Topical Guide." You can use this to look up specific topics and find out which scriptures cover that particular topic. I told my friend that when I was younger (about 8 years old) I heard the term for the first time. I could not figure out why we would need a Tropical Guide to read the scriptures. Perhaps because the scriptures talk about a "promised land" and that has to be Tropical for sure, right?
I also spoke to my friends of hymns that we don't always understand... When my dad was little, his mom used to tell him not to eat too many cherries, because they would give him a stomach ache. Then he went to church and heard the song that says, "Cherries hurt you, cherries hurt you..." (Cherish virtue, cherish virtue...) Growing up, we always wondered about the song that starts "High on a mountain top, a badger killed a squirrel, ye nations all look up, they wave to all the world" (High on a mountain top, a banner is unfurled, ye nations all look up, it waves to all the world).
I love listening to my boys play. Yesterday, my husband made a sound that sound a lot like Chewbacca from Star Wars. Spencer heard him and yelled, "oh, no, it's Chewy Box! Run!!"
Carter loves the movie "Cars." He recently started to like Star Wars as well. He says, "Mommy, look! It's Darth Mater." (apparently he's not the only one that has said this, I googled it and got tons of parents saying their kids say the same thing, here's something funny on it: http://mockazine.typepad.com/mockazine/2008/01/darth-mater.html ) One day, we had one of Spencer's friends over and Carter said something about Darth Mater and the other boy said, "It's NOT Darth Mater, it's DARK Vader." So, some people get somethings right, other people get other things right.

UPDATE: I forgot about the one they both say, over and over and over... One will say it and then they both laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh, like it's the funniest thing they have ever said. It comes from Toy Story 2... Mrs. Potato Head is packing her husband's facial features in his hind quarters and says, "and I'm packing your 'angry eyes' just in case." Later, they are in a situation and Mr. Potato Head says, "Get ready for Mr. Angry Eyes..." Well my kids laugh and say, "Get ready for mystery eyes..." seriously, one will say "mystery eyes" and they both fall on the floor laughing... I guess I don't get it...

1 comment:

Mockazine said...

Thank you for the link. My son actually gets mad when I start up with Darth Mater. When I make the mechanical breathing noises then say, "This is my best friend,"
my 5 year old get's really bent out of shape.